How To Safely Manage Wet Light Fixtures
How To Handle Wet Lighting Fixtures Safely
Some things are made to go together, like peanut butter and jelly or cake and ice cream. However, water and electricity are unquestionably not a good match. As a homeowner in Beverly Hills, CO finding water in light fixtures is a scary and dangerous situation. How do you safely act in this situation? What happens if there is significant ceiling damage as well? Take the following actions to keep your family and your home safe.
What Immediate Actions Do I Take?
• First, stop and think before you act. Do not touch the light fixture or the switch that turns it off. Electricity must be turned off at the circuit breaker box. Confirm that the electricity is off by testing safe, dry outlets nearby.
• Unless you are a qualified electrician, do not attempt to remove the wet light fixture. Once the light is removed a new fixture should be used.
• If possible, locate the offending water source and turn off the water supply. Ceiling damage can have a number of causes such as a broken pipe, an overflowing toilet or a clogged drain.
How Do I Deal With Water Damage?
• Water in light fixtures originates from somewhere in your ceiling. Have your home inspected as soon as possible by a water restoration specialist. Without proper inspection by an expert, it is hard to know whether there is significant damage hidden from your view.
• After the inspection, the specialist makes a plan to properly dry, disinfect and restore your home to pre-water damage condition.
• Contact your insurance agent to see if water loss is covered by your policy.
When there is unexpected water in light fixtures at your home in Beverly Hills, CO remember that your safety is most important. Electricity and water are always a dangerous combination. Have the ceiling damage inspected and addressed by a reputable water restoration professional as soon as possible..